Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Family Traditions

While cycling on the bike at the gym, I got into a conversation with an older lady. We talked about family traditions. She told me that while growing up, everyone had to be together for the holidays. Not everyone wanted to do it, but they did it for their mother. She said that after her mom passed away, her brothers and sisters all went their separate ways. No one really talks to each other, neither do they get together for the holidays. Looking back at the old photos, she said, "These smiles are all fake. The true colors came out after mom passed away." It is hard when this happens to a family. This is family and we should put aside the differences because we are family.

I think about my family, but our family is the complete opposite. We enjoy each others company and having the time with each other. Yes, things have changed. Our youngest son will be getting married, but he has told me that they want us over next year for Thanksgiving. After my parents divorced, it was about spending time with each parent. This changed even more after dating my soon to be husband. It was tough because we had a family dinner with all of our relatives: my dad, stepmother, and her brothers, sisters-in-law and the cousins on their side. Then, we had dinner at my mother-in-law's house, with all of my husband's relatives. Later in life, we would pick up my mom and she would join us at my mother-in-law's house for Thanksgiving. My mom enjoyed visiting with everyone and just having all that delicious food that my mother-in-law cooked. My mother-in-law wanted to make it all and delicious it was.

This year, our oldest son will barbecue our turkey. Our youngest son will join us the day after Thanksgiving, since he has to work that Friday. Although, we won't all be together for Thanksgiving, I am glad that we will have some quality time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment