Thursday, January 28, 2016

Cauliflower Garlic Potatoes

Once again, I wanted to mention that I don't care for cauliflower. I have heard of cauliflower potatoes, so I had to try it. Our local farmers' market had organic cauliflower.

This is the original recipe, which I tried the first time. I am not a fan of buttermilk, but since I had unsweetened almond milk original, I added the vinegar. I know that they used regular milk, but we haven't drank regular milk in years.

This cauliflower measured 10 inches in diameter and can someone say, "A lot of cauliflower!"

This is the original recipe that I made:

  • 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets (about 1 head)
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
  • 1/3 cup nonfat buttermilk (see Tip)
  • 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    1 teaspoon butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste
  • Snipped fresh chives for garnish

PREPARATION

  1. Place cauliflower florets and garlic in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until very tender, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place florets and garlic in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave on High for 3 to 5 minutes.)
  2. Place the cooked cauliflower and garlic in a food processor. Add buttermilk, 2 teaspoons oil, butter, salt and pepper; pulse several times, then process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and garnish with chives, if desired. Serve hot.

TIPS & NOTES

  • Tip: No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make “sour milk”: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.

NUTRITION

Per serving: 107 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 288 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (150% daily value), Folate (22% dv).

I didn't care for it, but then I don't care for buttermilk. The second batch, I used almond milk unsweetened original. I ran out of fresh garlic, so I used garlic powder. OMG! I like it so much better. What I am saying is, "Make it like you would regular potatoes. You still need to steam the cauliflower and put ingredients in the food processor. Just add the ingredients that you would use for potatoes, minus the potatoes."

1 comment:

  1. Hello admin Sir/Ma'am,
    I am Nisha From India. I am visiting your blog daily.
    I love your blog and Nature.
    I am in class 9th.

    ReplyDelete